"The Year of 40" Race 10 Complete: Optim Orthopedic Skidaway Island Half Marathon

Race number 10 is done and in the books! Through the first quarter of the year I'm on track with having completed one quarter of my race goal. This past Saturday was one of my big tests for the year as it was not only one of two schedule half marathons but it was also a challenge this early in the schedule.  Due to some leg issues I hadn't been able to push my distance over the last month like I'd hoped so I wasn't sure how things would go for this run. As it turns out it was my best half marathon yet (I've run two previously) and I set a PR for time at 08:49/mile and finishing in a total time of 01:55:40.

This was truly a great run as it wound through and upscale living
community, The Landings, on Skidaway Island.  Along the route we were on roads, cart paths, and trails that ran alongside the marsh. Despite some rainy weather that got everyone soaked early on, the temperatures stayed just right.

Miles one through eight were pretty smooth before fatigue started to set in.  Over the next couple of miles I had a couple of 30-60 second walk intervals before moving into walk and sprint intervals over the final few miles. I managed to have enough left in the tank to sprint the final 75-100 yards to the finish line.  The Year of 40 continues!









Comments